Signing On and Tidy Desks

Today I am job hunting. And tidying my desk. I thought I would just put that out there. It's not to say I haven't been looking for the last 2 months, it's just today I'm having to be more formal about it.

I signed on last week for (I think) contribution based job seekers allowance which now means all of my job hunting efforts will be scrutinised. I say, I think because I was totally lost about what I actually applied for because it seemed to have changed between me making the initial claim online and the interview.

I'm just going with the flow.

To be honest the whole thing is a bit scary. Walking into the job centre was scary. Figuring out all the forms, was scary. I've never needed to do this before, so it was all totally new. And scary. And the thought of proving to someone what I have done, how I have done, what I'm planning on doing and so on, does seem intrusive.



However, when I thought about it, this is no different to actually working. I try and schedule time every day to dedicate time to looking for and applying, so I'm treating it like a part-time job. Reporting in at the job centre, is just like having a meeting with my manager to look at my progress and see what I can do to improve. Well, that's how I'm handling it. Their job is to get me back into work, I'll accept all the help I can! 

So today, I'm dedicating some time to sort the untidy desk out, just like I would do if I was at work. Hopefully when I have my next 'performance review' I'll have all the paperwork to hand.


I'm aiming for three applications today, with fully bespoke CV's and covering letters. May not seem like a lot, but if you're going to get it right first time, it takes time to perfect.

And you've got to have targets, this is my new part-time job after all






No comments:

Post a Comment